[AT] EcoDiesel update

Dennis Johnson moscowengnr at outlook.com
Tue Aug 30 18:38:10 PDT 2016

My Ram EcoDiesel let me down a few weeks ago at about 111,000 miles, the evening before I had planned a trip.
The "need to regen the DPF" light came on for a minute as I was parking. I stopped to unload something, and then restarted. When I restarted it immediately went to the "DPF full - go to dealer with $$$$$$" message, and was in the "Limp mode" of 35 MPH max, and not up shifting much.
Got back from trip and I decided I needed to do something different, so I sent my ECM of to PPEI to repair/update it, and then had the entire exhaust system "rebuilt". Got things back, and finished installing stuff yesterday and today. First test drive seems to have improved mileage a little bit. Will know more after a little time and a few more miles.
Also installed an "EDGE" brand engine monitor that gives several things from the OBDII port. It is an impressive digital gauge set. It might also be able love to read or clear codes, but I need to read more of the manual to figure it out.
This system came with a separate thermocouple for EGT, but I have not installed it yet. After seeing there is factory data, not sure that I need to drill another hole to get a second data point.

Exhaust gas temp 1  (assume turbo inlet) - running 750/770 at 70 MPH, over 1020 F at full throttle and 25 PSI boost for a little bit. Runs 300/325 it idle.
Exhaust gas temp 2 (assume turbo outlet or DPF inlet)  - running 200/203 at 70 MPH
Trans Temp
Speed
Gear engaged - really nice to see - this is something that was lacking with stock gauges.
Coolant Temp
Oil Temp
Boost, - running 11-14 at 70 MPH flat ground, up to 25 at full throttle
Soot % ???

Does anyone have any good ranges for these parameters, especially the EGT 1 and EGT 2

Let me know??

Now, next thing is that 111K may be close to the limit on the original turbo. Looks like it is leaking oil into the intake, so that may be the next project.

Thanks,
Dennis

Sent from my iPad