[AT] Battery Charger recommendations

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Tue Apr 26 17:32:49 PDT 2016

In my case it depends on who actually makes the guts and how well they
heat sink the chips. LEDs generate a LOT of heat right at the diode
junction, pulling that heat away is a trick. If you stick with the
better companies you generally will be OK. They generally use better
heat sinks and components.

Mike M wrote:
> My daughter works at a hardware store, and told me they were already
> phasing out  CFL's, which in my opinion were in my opinion a bad short
> term solution to a long term problem. Think of all the mercury that
> ended up in landfills or was mishandled by people who were unaware of
> how to handle a broken CFL. Steve, how can you tell a good LED from an
> el cheapo other than price. I'll probably wait another year and then
> make the switch. The only one's I may change sooner are the mercury
> vapor lights that run from dawn to dusk on the barn. Might be some
> savings there.
>
> Regards,
> Mike M
>

> On 4/26/2016 4:20 PM, Steve W. wrote:
>> Mike M wrote:
>>> You can still buy high wattage incandescent bulbs, I just ordered some
>>> 300 watt bulbs for our barn. The CFL's take too long to warm up and are
>>> dangerous in my opinion, I have witnessed them burning and burning brown
>>> by the base. Not good in a barn with dry wood and hay. I'll eventually
>>> make the transition to LED's but right now I can't find one that is
>>> affordable that will throw the lumens the 300 watt one will. I have
>>> noticed that cost of them is dropping like a stone. They should have
>>> known only early adopters would pay $40 a bulb.
>>>
>>> Mike M
>> I switched everything over to LED. House, shop, exterior lighting. This
>> was the middle of last year. I will NEVER go back to incandescents or
>> fluorescent lamps unless there is no other option for a particular item.
>> LEDs LOVE the cold, they actually get brighter the more heat you can
>> pull from the diode junctions.
>>
>> Running the numbers on them 75% of them are already paid for in savings,
>> the others are not on long enough to get a rapid ROI.
>>
>> Only complaints are
>>
>> 1- some of the cheap ones have power supplies with piss poor shielding
>> so they toss out a LOT of RF hash. (Remedied most of this with common
>> aluminum duct tape added as a shield in the housing)
>>
>> 2- due to the location of one outside light and it's relative position
>> to the road I have to adjust the flood bulb down when the trees are
>> bare. This is because the bright point source light from an LED looks
>> VERY VERY bright from that angle. Even off axis it appears very bright,
>> although it throws very little light at that angle.
>>

> ---

Steve W.