[AT] Old baler guidance needed

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Apr 19 20:44:51 PDT 2016

I always loved New Holland hay equipment.  They make the best looking
round bales I have ever seen!  I have run nearly every brand of round
baler and most brands of square in my 50 years of farming.   I own 2
International balers, a 430 and a 440, 430 is twine tie.   The 440 needs
the wire cutters built up as they are worn.  New ones are over $500!   I
have not had a chance to run the 430 as I bought it from the Deere
dealer nearby.    I traded a hay rake for the baler.  I had an Oliver 60
baler and loved it.  I sold it and a Massey baler to some Mexicans years
ago to go to Mexico.  I had an Oliver 50 baler and it also worked great,
but I traded it to an Oliver collector for a truck and 4 truck
tires....   I cut a lot of hay for a guy who baled with an Allis
Chalmers baler and he was not a very good mechanic.  It kept on baling
for him and he baled some pretty good prairie hay bales.
My experience lately with new Holland is that the parts are ridiculously
overpriced.   They are higher than Deere for the same parts.   I have
worked with machinists and in a factory.  I know what it takes to build
parts and I can tell you that New Holland is just way out of line.   If
you complain to their customer service about the parts prices, they will
increase the price, I complained once and they raised the price
$20!!!!!!    I was in the NH dealership last week and came out with 5
gears and 2 bearings for my round baler and it was $2400!!  The parts
guy told me that since Fiat bought into NH, the price increases were wild..
My advice would be if you can find an affordable baler that works for
less than $1000, buy it and look for a parts machine, or buy a lathe and
mill and try to build your parts if needed.   Also keep it under a shed,
and never let it get rained on.   The factory service manual is
invaluable, and the parts manual is a lot of help...  Most all square
baler problems are due to wear or adjustment.  Sometimes you have to
make adjustments to overcome the wear....!!

My NH round baler is outside getting rained on while I am working on it,
and I know it will cost..  I just have so much taken apart, I cannot get
it into the shed.

Cecil in OKla