[AT] de-greasing disc brakes

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Sep 22 22:13:21 PDT 2015

On 9/22/2015 8:39 PM, Mike wrote:
>    Probably not when you're combining, but I bet they do stopping in road
> gear.
>
> Mike M
>

> On 9/22/2015 9:36 PM, jtchall at nc.rr.com wrote:
>> You really think they get that hot on a combine?
The only time my combine brakes got hot was when they failed to release
properly and were dragging as I transported down the road at 16 mph.
Eventually the smoke behind me
clued me in to what was going on. No visible damage but the brakes got
hot enough to let the smoke out. Seemed to be a weakness on the IH
rotary combines that the brake levers
  did not release properly after use and would drag. Not noticeable in
the field at low speed but road speed would heat them up to the smoking
level.
I solved the problem by manually prying the levers into neutral and
never using the brakes again. You don't need them on a hydro drive
machine anyway.
I've tried cleaning up old tractor disk brakes as well as some truck
shoes. While they appear to clean up fine I find they always tended to
be grabby after that.

Ralph in Sask.