[AT] OFF Topic: 4 month Verizon WAR

Howard Weeks weeksh at att.net
Thu Sep 3 14:38:59 PDT 2015

When they made the change over from analog to digital, they moved all
the old VHF channels up into the the UHF frequency range. That includes
any channel that was on 2-13. UHF channels do not propagate as well as
the old VHF channels. To make it worse, they lowered the transmit power
on a lot of the stations around here in GA. They claim that each station
license was engineered in such a way as to provide the same coverage as
before.  That claim is basically a complete fabrication.

All of the local stations here continued to use their old VHF channel
numbers on the air. That is certainly confusing if you are trying to
optimize an antenna for their actual RF frequency.

Don't believe all the crap about "digital antennas" being required for
the digital channels. If you have an antenna that is engineered for the
new channels in the UHF frequency range, you are good to go. I have
found many people that used outside VHF antennas before the change over
trying to use them for the new channels in the UHF range. They will not
work properly unless they were originally designed for both VHF and UHF
frequencies.

Howard in GA