[AT] How can they farm like that

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 05:39:20 PST 2015

We were talking about my friend who should probably start  cutting back.
:-)
Here is a post I made to a Facebook group after a picture was posted of an
old Ford/Ferguson with duals mounted with the tread backward and someone
questioned it.
I thought it was appropriate for this list, especially the tools part. Many
of us do like our tools.
:-)

----------------------------------

Some folks used to put the tires backwards on loader tractors or other
special applications so that they could get backed out of any place that
the backward tires could drive them into.
On dished wheel tractors like this I always sat the wheels out for
cultivating row crops by switching sides but some guys just flipped them
around one side at a time. I knew several that said that they didn't have a
jack big enough to lift the whole back of the tractor at once.
As I think back to those days (I'm old ) I was very often quite surprised
at how many farmers only owned a handful of very simple tools. My father
had spent WW-II testing aircraft engines and he had accumulated a lot of
tools and welding equipment. We had some neighbors that had an adjustable
wrench, a pair of pliers, a screwdriver. a claw hammer and a couple of
coffee cans of odd old nuts and bolts... I never understood how they were
able to farm like that?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA