[AT] Hey Ralph!

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 20:39:37 PST 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 10:43 PM, <jtchall at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> I understand the option thing! We got hit with a hurricane back in '96,
> flattened my corn. I only had a little over an acre, we picked it and sold
> it for squirrel food. We had to pull the picker with a Farmall Super A.
> Being an offset tractor, we could keep the tires the furthest from the row
> of corn. WE also had to pick the whole field in one direction. It was
> either
> that or abandon it.
>
> John Hall

I recall back about 1959 we had a field fire from a hot tractor exhaust
that burned about 7 or 8 acres of standing corn. It burned all of the
leaves, tassels and shucks and most of the ear shanks... It took days to
pick up all of those scorched ears off of the ground and it was a royally
dirty job. The black on the ground was bad enough but you had to work among
all of those blackened sooty stalks too.
The tractors we had then all had horizontal  exhaust and even the next
spring the exhaust kicked up a lot of black while we were plowing.

--

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
robinson46176 at gmail.com