[AT] Compact tractors

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 17 19:01:57 PST 2015

My only experience with compact tractors was a 670 Deere beginning back in
'89. Tractor was brand new and belonged to a subdivision. We used it to run
a 5 ft. mowing deck (belly mount). It had ample power for that. It had turf
tires and 4wd, we actually had to use the 4wd every week for some of the
area we mowed. I also maintained  a few miles of trails with it and a 4 ft.
bushog. Normally that was light mowing except under power lines.
Occasionally I had to grind up some small trees. I found out the hard way
not to try to push over a tree while in 4wd unless you hit it with the
weight bracket--I hit one with a front tire and actually climbed up the tree
and had to back it down. I abused the heck out of it somedays, but never
broke anything--Yanmar just made one solid machine.

Obviously this was 25 years ago, but a couple things are still worth
checking today:

Is the operator platform big enough? I've looked/sat on some of the small
tractors built today and lets just say they aren't made for folks over 6'
tall with size 13 boots.

Can you live with a 2-stage clutch? Find out how the PTO works.

3pt hitch--no load and depth can make some operations a pain.

Can you engage the 4wd on the go?

John Hall