[AT] Thank You Vets

ATIS yostsw at atis.net
Wed Nov 11 17:52:03 PST 2015

Your welcome.   The reason I am replying is because I am mortified that I missed mentioning my father.   He served during the Korean conflict on the USS Coral sea.   My father served on cruises in the North Atlantic and Mediterranean   - never near the Korean peninsula.  He served  as the captain's PR man and ship's journalist.   He did  newsletters, announcements, press briefings, speeches, etc.   The closest he came to the front was nearly being sent there when the he wrote the editorial for the fleet's newspaper supporting the Brown vs. Board of Education decision. I still have that and several other of his pieces.   So he never saw hard duty.  As you might gather, he was a writer by nature and by training and any writing skill I manage to muster is from his genes and red pen.

I also somehow forgot to mention my favorite uncle served in Korea too.  He also never saw action.   Interestingly he was assigned to low level intelligence and was taught enough Mandarin to do news gathering.  If you knew my uncle you would love him.  But mandarin news gathering would not be the first job you gave him. (-;

Spencer Yost