[AT] Turbochargers

ATIS yostsw at atis.net
Wed Nov 11 15:53:25 PST 2015

Double check on service bearings.   On some (Garrett and others) a conversion is available to replace the thrust and/or ball bearings with a "cartridge" bearing as a complete serviceable unit.   I was afraid I did not have the skills to do it so I took it to a local shop.   They laughed and said if I had a simple press I could.  They replaced the bearings while I waited.  I'm still running that replacement cartridge in my Garrett  100K and 10 years later.   Cost me like $200 and I think that was basically all parts.   Unless they cost $5 and I got charged $195 for 20 mins of work. (-:

Not pocket change exactly but was affordable.  As usual your mileage may vary and I have no idea if this alternative is available on your turbo.

Spencer Yost