[AT] road grader

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 2 18:42:21 PST 2015

Having been the guy driving the tractor as well as the guy riding, These
things work best with open station tow vehicles. I couldn't imagine running
one behind a truck unless you are just touching up a road. Too many hand
signals going on as well as hollering!

I can only remember one time where we pulled it with our cab tractor (deere
4430). We had been hired to clean the roads in a newly built subdivision
after a bunch of sleet with some snow on top. It was so slick we couldn't
even pull the hill to get into the subdivision. The only way to make it work
was to put it in a high gear and hang on. When we made right turns at
intersections the blade would quit cutting because we were turning into the
direction we had it angled. This would cause the road grader to in effect
"crack the whip" so to speak. There were numerous close calls with signposts
and mailboxes that day. After 3 hours of riding in the cold I had had
enough. We were over a mile from home and I let me dad know if he cared to
plow any more roads, he needed to trade places with me. As you can probably
guess we headed in for the day.

John