[AT] OT--- 800 IH plate planter

Ron Cook ron at lakeport-1.com
Sat May 23 00:03:17 PDT 2015

John,
     I had to chuckle when reading this posting.  I have a good friend
that owned more than one 4020 from the time they were new. About 10
years ago he bought one again and remarked to me that he had forgotten
the danged 4020 had no float position on the hydraulics or he would not
have bought the thing.  I bought mine expressly for loader use and
because it has the float position so I can use the tractor hydraulics.
He informed me I did not know what "float" was,  I suggested he read the
manual.  He did.  I won.
     The family farm still has one of the two 1965 4020 power shift
tractors that were bought new.  My youngest brother, he is 60, said his
only complaint on that tractor is the harsh, jerky shifting.  I told him
to get under there and back off the shift pressure a little for yard
work.  It is probably still adjusted for plowing.  He looked at me like
I was on something.  I said, look in the manual. He did.  I won.
     The strangest things turn up in those operator's manuals.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA