[AT] Flail mowers

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Mon May 18 04:36:06 PDT 2015

jtchall at nc.rr.com wrote:
> I asked dad about them today and he said his 100 IH balanced head mower (I
> think that is the model) came with a couple on it next to the pitman arm.
> They didn't work well and were replaced very quickly.
>
> Regarding flail mowers, don't recall anyone around here having one. When the
> NC DOT hired contractors to start mowing the highways back in the 80's, the
> contractors around here all ran flail mowers instead of bushogs and belly
> mount sickle mowers like the state was running. I believe this was largely
> in part due to the amount of stuff thrown by bushogs that hit cars.
>
> How does a flail mower work shredding crop residue? I've often wondered how
> one would do in corn stalks.
>
> John

NY runs flail and bush hog style mowers. Around me they use mainly the
flail units. The crews like them because they are faster to mow with and
  easier to maneuver. They do an OK job on normal grass, not so good on
fibrous weeds or saplings.

The main reason they switched from sickle bars was a different one. Less
"ability" needed by the operator. Sickle bars need some skill to operate
as you need to watch them and alter the speed to match the cutting
action. Plus you really watch for junk with a sickle so you don't break
sections or guards. With a flair or hog they just get in the seat and
go. About the only time I see them stop is if they snag something like
fencing or landscape fabric in the flail, or it's the lunch H  O  U  R..

(anyone else ever notice that state trucks go REALLY slow when they are
heading to the work sight and when they head back to the barn but when
they are going to lunch the things seem to have nitrous....)

--
Steve W.