[AT] Flail mowers

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun May 17 18:31:00 PDT 2015

I asked dad about them today and he said his 100 IH balanced head mower (I
think that is the model) came with a couple on it next to the pitman arm.
They didn't work well and were replaced very quickly.

Regarding flail mowers, don't recall anyone around here having one. When the
NC DOT hired contractors to start mowing the highways back in the 80's, the
contractors around here all ran flail mowers instead of bushogs and belly
mount sickle mowers like the state was running. I believe this was largely
in part due to the amount of stuff thrown by bushogs that hit cars.

How does a flail mower work shredding crop residue? I've often wondered how
one would do in corn stalks.

John