[AT] drill bits

Recentjester at aol.com Recentjester at aol.com
Sat May 2 05:49:30 PDT 2015

just curious but are the old cleveland and national brand  drills as good
as new drills?

In a message dated 5/2/2015 7:18:29 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
jtchall at nc.rr.com writes:

Gary,  here are some links for MSC and Travers as  well:
http://www.travers.com/
http://www.mscdirect.com/

See if  you can access any sale flyers online, you may find a good deal
there.

These are the more more generic drills. MSC has a  listing for over 30,000
drills, it gets annoying  trying to sort  through all that  sometimes.
http://www.mscdirect.com/FlyerView?pagelabel=10&search=71205751&contentPath=
/sales-catalogs/big-book

If  you are ordering from MSC I would probably go with the Hertel brand.
That’s
an old J&L line. No telling where they are made but the quality should  be
reasonable based on my past experience with some of their  endmills.  If
money is no object, move on up to Precision (PTD).  Likewise consider
drills
made with cobalt, I forgot to mention yesterday  that is all I buy at work.

One other reccomendation regarding drills.  Should you ever find yourself
buying any of the silver and demming style  drills between 33/64 and 1
inch,
try to get them with 3 flats on the  shank. Those things are notorious for
spinning in a drill chuck. Even the  high dollar chucks we use don't hold
them. In the CNC equipment we hold  them in a solid holder with a setscrew
or
a collet chuck. Some of the  manual machinists hold them in drill chucks,
much to my dislike. At least  with the flats it won't spin. For the record,
most of us don't have a  drill press at home adequate to run those. I
generally use my milling  machine for running the larger bits.

Charlie and Dave, take a look  at this link.  FWIW we use both terms at
work;
Keeping it tractor  related would be like saying do you have a disc, a
harrow, or a disc  harrow for your tractor---all depends on where you are
from.

http://www.mscdirect.com/FlyerView?pagelabel=10&search=71205751&contentPath=
/sales-catalogs/big-book

John  Hall