[AT] Off-topic Operating Systems (was Re: Forum registration)

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 16:38:52 PDT 2015

If you want to get off of XP to a free Linux OS that isn't completely foreign, try http://zorin-os.com/
Most of the time, a lite Linux will run faster than XP did on the same system.  There is a pretty complete office package from http://www.libreoffice.org/ that will work on Linux or Windows.  You can also use something like Google Drive to keep your documents in the cloud accessible from any web browser.
   Len Rugen

rugenl at yahoo.com

     On Monday, March 9, 2015 5:06 PM, Indiana Robinson <robinson46176 at gmail.com> wrote:

 On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> wrote:

> I always had a picture of Mac's as machines for artists and writers and
> graphic professionals and free-thinkers in general, while the dour business
> applications ran under Windows.  I suppose there was a day when that was at
> least sort-of true.  My engineer brain felt like it was "jumping ship" when
> I recently chose to purchase a Mac for home use, like it was more of a toy
> than a machine.  I was just completely surprised by how nice and capable it
> is all the way around.  And I'm typing this note from a fancy Win 7
> quad-core 64-bit 3 workstation optimized for 3-D CAD right now at work...
> crossing my fingers the company doesn't move to Win 8...
>
> SO

As I understand it about the only reason to move from Windows 7 to Windows
8 is for touch screen use?

As someone well blessed with poverty one of the reasons I first started
looking at Linux was because it was stable and free.
:-)
My original computer experience was in the mid 1960's and NOTHING like a
PC. When I started on a regular PC (after my time with a Timex/Sinclair and
then a Radio Shack Coco III it was all DOS. I did not know a single soul on
the planet with a PC that I could learn from or ask questions. I about went
mad. Talk about a learning curve... The 6 page manual explained how to use
the switch to turn it on.
:-)
I later got a copy of DR-DOS (Digital Research) and it had a common sense
manual. MS-DOS manual I believe was intentionally confusing.

--

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
robinson46176 at gmail.com