[AT] Off-topic Operating Systems (was Re: Forum registration)

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 15:06:21 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> wrote:

> I always had a picture of Mac's as machines for artists and writers and
> graphic professionals and free-thinkers in general, while the dour business
> applications ran under Windows.  I suppose there was a day when that was at
> least sort-of true.  My engineer brain felt like it was "jumping ship" when
> I recently chose to purchase a Mac for home use, like it was more of a toy
> than a machine.  I was just completely surprised by how nice and capable it
> is all the way around.  And I'm typing this note from a fancy Win 7
> quad-core 64-bit 3 workstation optimized for 3-D CAD right now at work...
> crossing my fingers the company doesn't move to Win 8...
>
> SO

As I understand it about the only reason to move from Windows 7 to Windows
8 is for touch screen use?

As someone well blessed with poverty one of the reasons I first started
looking at Linux was because it was stable and free.
:-)
My original computer experience was in the mid 1960's and NOTHING like a
PC. When I started on a regular PC (after my time with a Timex/Sinclair and
then a Radio Shack Coco III it was all DOS. I did not know a single soul on
the planet with a PC that I could learn from or ask questions. I about went
mad. Talk about a learning curve... The 6 page manual explained how to use
the switch to turn it on.
:-)
I later got a copy of DR-DOS (Digital Research) and it had a common sense
manual. MS-DOS manual I believe was intentionally confusing.

--

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
robinson46176 at gmail.com