[AT] Forum registration

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:36:08 PDT 2015

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a Chrome user, too (well, Safari at home on the new iMac).  Chrome
> was designed to be faster than IE and as far as I know that is still the
> case.  I had to do something with IE recently at work (it was a software
> update and the software manufacturer forced the update in IE) and it seems
> cumbersome and nannyish.  It is constantly asking if you want such-and-such
> to be blocked, allow thus-and-so add-in to run, etc. etc.  Chrome is a much
> cleaner experience.  (That is IE on Windows 7... I have yet to "enjoy" the
> new Windows 8 or 8.1).
>
> SO

This laptop came with Windows 8... I tried IE just because it was there and
hated it. I "enjoyed" Windows 8 right up until it BSOD crashed for the
third time (and lost a picture file). I scrubbed it out and installed Linux
(Sheldon Cooper and I get a big bang out of Ubuntu) and Chromium which is
the Linux version of Chrome. I also have Firefox on here but don't use it
much now. Nothing wrong with it, I just feel that the Chromium is a tiny
bit faster.

A lot of people are going to Mint Linux now but I have not tried it yet.
On some much older computers I used to run simpler distributions like Puppy
or DSL (Damn Small Linux). At one time years ago I was using Mandrivea. I
burned out a lot of brain cells with it. It wasn't so bad but the installer
was scary.
I've played with dozens of versions of Linux but I can't really claim to be
very knowledgeable about any of them.
Several years ago I bought an old iMac running OS-X just to learn a bit
about it. It of course ran Safari as a browser.

--

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
robinson46176 at gmail.com