[AT] British Steam Tractor - WWI

John Maddock agtronixjv at southcom.com.au
Sun Mar 22 15:36:23 PDT 2015

Hello Charlie

>From one of my snouts in England:

"Catching them after the roundabout on pause shows its a Holt crawler and
googling "bovington tank museum holt" found this from a local to them
paper-

http://m.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11412285.Spot_the_gun_tractor__First_World_War_convoy_set_to_roll_across_Dorset/

The low loader looks like its a twin steer but they seem to be using it
with the rear bogie locked in the straight ahead position so the second
engine can only really push on the A frame- maybe the drivers were not
confident enough to steer/swing the it around- it would be bad enough on a
conventional truck to steer and control the throttle, but on a traction
engine with two "drivers" it would need considerable skill to read one
anothers minds and not over-egg the situation??

The front engine seems to start bucking just as she is pulling the bogie
round and I suppose those solid rubber/cast wheels can't deflect like
later pneumatic tyres so it must be a case of dragging each sideways a bit
as she turns, plus maybe the pusher up behind wasn't giving it as much as
he could to help??

rgds Peter"

JV