[AT] OT--game changer

Steve Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 05:02:17 PDT 2015

Not saying Steve W. is wrong, but there are more facts needed in order to get a balanced view of the big picture.  Here's a few more.

Type 2 diabetes isn't merely a set of blood measurements.  It is a failed pancreas that can't secrete insulin properly because of sheer overwork, and the large increase over the last 3-ish decades is real, not just lowering the bar.  (They lowered the bar for "pre-diabetes" to start treatment sooner to try to stem the tide and salvage at least some pancreatic function before full blown Type 2 sets in)  The pancreas fails because of high demand for insulin over long periods of time.  That happens due to high blood glucose levels.  That happens due to high carbohydrate consumption.  That happens for a wide array of reasons, only some of which are sheer sloth and gluttony.  Remember that human metabolism has evolved very little since pre-agricultural days.  We still have taste buds and brains that think sweet carbs are rare and seasonal (ripe fruit)  and needed for a winter fat layer, so our survival instinct tells us to gorge on them.  Enter processed, engineered foods, from companies who are focused on profits.   They want you to buy more so they make sure to light up those areas of your taste buds and brains.  If you don't "Just Say No" to that crap, you need to fight your survival instinct to quit eating it.  Very hard to do.

SO

Sent from my iPhone