[AT] Off-topic Operating Systems (was Re: Forum registration)

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 10:19:07 PDT 2015

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Indiana Robinson <robinson46176 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I am a Chrome user, too (well, Safari at home on the new iMac)...
> >
> > SO
> >
> This laptop came with Windows 8... I tried IE just because it was there and
> hated it. I "enjoyed" Windows 8 right up until it BSOD crashed for the
> third time (and lost a picture file). I scrubbed it out and installed Linux
> (Sheldon Cooper and I get a big bang out of Ubuntu) and Chromium which is
> the Linux version of Chrome. I also have Firefox on here but don't use it
> much now. Nothing wrong with it, I just feel that the Chromium is a tiny
> bit faster.
>
> A lot of people are going to Mint Linux now but I have not tried it yet.
> On some much older computers I used to run simpler distributions like Puppy
> or DSL (Damn Small Linux). At one time years ago I was using Mandrivea. I
> burned out a lot of brain cells with it. It wasn't so bad but the installer
> was scary.
> I've played with dozens of versions of Linux but I can't really claim to be
> very knowledgeable about any of them.
> Several years ago I bought an old iMac running OS-X just to learn a bit
> about it. It of course ran Safari as a browser.

farmer, I thought seriously about ditching XP and going to Linux on my old
laptop.  In fact I'm still thinking.  I sits quietly in the corner now and
isn't going anywhere.  My reasons for opting for a new machine relate to
the fact that the hard drive on that laptop sounds like my JD crawler
clattering down a paved road, yet amazingly it still works.  That, and the
Round Tuit I'd need to climb the Linux learning curve.  I have definite
intellectual curiosity about Linux but my days are already filled from
morning to night.

I guess I'll have to Google "Sheldon Cooper" huh?

I'm enjoying the new iMac quite a bit.  The learning curve has been almost
non-existant.  I've had an iPhone for several years now and to a signficant
degree the iMac feels like a giant iPhone. For example my phone integrates
seamlessly with the Windows Exchange server at work so my phone has all my
business email (in addition to personal email, all in one Inbox if I want)
plus my business calendar, business contacts, business Notes and Tasks,
etc.  My XP laptop at home didn't have a clue about any of the work stuff.
The new iMac works just like I've described the iPhone.  It's kind of a big
deal if you have a desk job that's 30 miles away and it won't quit
snowing.  I can do a LOT of business from home on the new iMac. Plus the
screen is downright gorgeous.  It serves handsomely for Youtube and
streaming video during my morning workouts.

SO