[AT] Remembering/now Facebook

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 08:19:30 PST 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm in!  I think it's a fine idea to set up a Private Group on Facebook.
> They are very manageable by the appointed administrator(s) and easy to keep
> "clean" of the normal Facebook bullcrap.  I'm a routine Facebook user,
> primarily to keep up with family living long distances away, plus my other
> major hobbies (bicycling, motorcycling) are extremely active on Facebook -
> you almost HAVE to be a Facebook user because everything you want to know
> about is discussed on Facebook and nowhere else.  I've been on Facebook for
> four or five years now, and I am VERY well aware of the gripes people have
> about Facebook.  There is certainly some justification for the most of
> those gripes but I guess I find the good outweighs the bad - signficantly,
> as far as I am concerned.
>
> SO

Yes, I must agree with Steve. The good far outweighs the bad.
Posting pictures there to share is easier than about anyplace else and they
store them instead of you storing them. And... A picture is truly worth a
thousand words.
Once you learn to manage things like notifications, privacy etc. you have a
pretty good handle on controlling your activity.
I have a love / hate relationship with Facebook but it is the family stuff
that annoys me not the groups. You don't get to choose family...
:-)
I follow about 2 dozen groups on Facebook and about half are old tractor
groups. About half of those are brand or even model specific.
I first got on the internet about 1994 or 1995 after putting it off for too
long because I fell victim to all of the rumors about how crappy it was and
how dangerous it was and how it was all viruses and misinformation... After
I was on-line for a few weeks I really regretted believing all of the
nonsense.
Then I dragged my feet for a long time on getting involved in social media
at all. After a few weeks I also regretted that foot dragging.
It's just like walking downtown... Watch what you might step in and watch
your back...
Forum or Facebook (or Google etc) will work either way but there is one big
difference... The young guys coming along are going to be on social media.
I still have about 10 old email list that I own and getting anybody to take
part in a conversation is about like pulling teeth these days. While we may
feel comfortable with email list we are basically dinosaurs already. We
have become like the old gentleman's club, sitting around sipping booze and
smoking cigars. Maybe somebody emits a "Harumph" now and then if someone
speaks...
:-)
On those list that I still own they still have a lot of members but if I
try to get them talking about 3 or 4 of them (always the same ones) respond
then it's back to smoking cigars again.
I'm going to transition my groups to Facebook and it is possible that I may
lose most of the members but it doesn't matter that much because those
groups are pretty much dead now... At least on Facebook groups they might
get some new blood that has some passion.
(shrug)
Of course such things are up to Spencer, I would hate for anything to
diminish the ATIS identity. Without the ATIS Portland is just another
tractor show.

--

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"