[AT] Plows, was Re: Supervision

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Tue Jun 30 04:42:59 PDT 2015

As an organic farmer, I can tell the list that plowing is an effective
disease and weed control technique. Best used VERY occasionally. As a
vegetable farmer, I can also attest that here in the vegetables growing
country of California irrespective of organic or chemical growing that
most medium to larger operations use plows for those two purposes, but
very sparingly. Deep is the way to go for the purpose - to below the
depth that our furrows for the beds will reach. On my farm we plow a
given piece of land no more frequently than once per five years. Some
fields have been plowed twice in the past ten years, some once and none
more than once.
      In December / January when we opened up a new field that had been
in rangeland for 40-50 years we plowed the soil after ripping (22" deep)
and before application of compost and completion of field preparation.
The only places where there were tumbleweeds in the crops were at the
ends where the plow was less effective due to the lifting and turning.
Now my standard practice is that when I get a new field or ranch, the
moldboard plow comes out as part of initial field preparation. By the
way, the Potatoes planted in February in that field started harvest
Saturday. The Purple potatoes and Yellow Potatoes are fantastic with
excellent yield. The other varieties too. The Purple, Yellow and White
Carrots did very well in most areas too! The topsoil depth in that field
is about 12 feet of Sandy Loam.
           Grant Brians - Hollister,California farmer of vegetables,
herbs, flowers, fruit and nuts