[AT] Plows, was Re: Supervision

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Jun 27 04:56:49 PDT 2015

Never heard of a 720 so I opened Wendell's big red book to see what it is.
Still a little unclear but it looks like a replacement for the 4XX series.
According to the book the 450's we had were "extra-heavy" and also known as
rock plows. A neighbor had a 5 bottom semi-mounted he pulled behind a 1466,
doubt he had any hp problems even at the depth folks ran around here.

The only plowing you here of around here anymore is generally done by
tobacco farmers. Years ago some of the chemicals used had a very long
carryover on the soil. That may still be the case, I ran into something on
wheat with a several month carryover before you could plant sorghum. One
remedy was deep plowing. Kind of wish we still had a plow, I have some
fields with herbicide resistant weeds that I think the best solution would
be to plow the seed under.

John Hall