[AT] Need help with a Kohler engine CH18

Arthur Southwell asouth42 at embarqmail.com
Thu Jul 23 08:00:49 PDT 2015

Hi Mike,
I didn't see the photo, but reading the replies, I'll offer this tidbit.

I have a customer that had 2 Kohler engines burn up the lower crank seal. It
turned out that there wasn't enough clearance between the thrust surface and
the crankcase lower bearing surface. One was brand new . It ran about 10
minutes before the lower seal let go and dumped the oil.

On the late model CH 18 thru CH 25, Kohler doesn't show a gasket for the
base. At least the suppliers I checked with couldn't find a P/N.  You may
need to make yourself a gasket .007 to .010 inch thick. Bottom line, you
need to make sure there is that much end play in the crank shaft when the
engine is assembled and the bolt are torqued.

If you need or want more explanation, email me.

asouth42 at embarqmail.com

Arthur Southwell
Arcadia, FL 34266