[AT] Gas can rant

Gunnells, Bradley R brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 22 12:51:13 PDT 2015

Well I wish I could say I’ve never done something like that….but alas…it’s not to be.

We were out camping with friends. My usual tried and true method of getting our campsite fire going was to put a small wad of papers under some kindling I’d brought along. A little douse of old diesel mixed with used motor oil in a charcoal fluid bottle was just added insurance we’d have a nice fire going in no time.

Well one time I forgot to check my handy bottle to make sure it had enough of it’s diesel fuel/oil mix and we were out. So there was the handy can of coleman lantern fuel. Yep….I couldn’t understand why my friend was backing away. While the “WHOOSH” was pretty spectacular, luckily I only had a little singed hair on my arm from it. We did have a good fire going to cook over in very short order though!

Richard: That story of the Corvair club was great. I can only imagine some of the scary things that might have been done. A little liquid courage always seems involved.

Brad