[AT] Cecil, Latin, words and tractors

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Thu Jul 16 06:24:59 PDT 2015

Cecil, I envy both you and my mother who partly got her scholarship to
USC based on her four years of Latin and the terrific Latin teacher at
her high school here in California. On the other hand I did four years
of Spanish and read and speak it nearly fluently. But then I use Spanish
6 days a week too once again after a number of years of infrequent use.
When I worked in the Tech business, I was the one in preference to our
Mexican-American employees who handled most of the Spanish language
technical calls and also taught several classes in Brazil in
"tri-lingual format" - my speaking Spanish and English and the students
speaking Portuguese and English....
      I will admit that at various times in my life I just would leaf
through the dictionary and read about word origins, they are fun. I have
my own copy of the Oxford English dictionary and although I rarely open
it any more I love it with the cool historic usages in there. The
history of that project is really cool. Mine is sadly the one that you
need the magnifying glass for rather than the 13 volume library edition
though.
      On the tractor front, our Ford 5030 tractor with the 8 speed
reverser transmission decided to eat some tranny bearings and an input
shaft. The mechanic has it apart and we should have it back together
early next week. I was looking inside and intrigued by the engineering.
I am used to working on Oliver 6F-2R transmissions, Caterpillars, Ford
trucks, Studebakers (yeah Borg-Warner) and Massey-Fergusons. Way too
many times Massey-Ferguson! I am hoping the hydraulics are all ok with
the metal from this Ford transmission as I would really like to avoid
that added parts cost.... Back to work!
                 Grant Brians - Hollister,California farmer of
vegetables, herbs, nuts and fruit