[AT] out with the old

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Jan 18 18:35:02 PST 2015

Ed:
Just wait until you have hay down and get started with that new baler
and the tractor quits, one of those "throw more money than you can ever
begin to justify at it and never let the wife know just how much"
problems and you then go through 3 more tractors before the job is
finished.
I just hauled hay out of a field that I quit cutting and baling this
summer because the pull type swather broke the drive shaft off and the
self propelled JD swather hydrostat quit, and then a tornado dropped
some scrap wood in the field and it got in the windrow with the swather
and broke one of my new belts in the baler.

Now, I need the hay that was laying down in the windrow and not yet cut....

  I bought my 648 New Holland in 2006 for $9500 It had 11000 bales on
the monitor.  I have since spent another 2500 on it including a set of
belts and a JD style lacer to lace the new belts, new drive chains and a
few sprockets.  It is now probably showing about 20000 bales on it.
Here in OK with out yields, it cost me about $28/bale to cut and bale
hay in 4x5 bales.   If you will back off the belt tension on that baler
your cows will like the hay better and your belts will last a lot
longer.   Also, let the tension off the belts for the winter storage..
The lacings will last a lot longer..

Farming.....  It ain't for sissies!!

Cecil in OKla