[AT] Cold weather starting

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Jan 7 06:46:02 PST 2015

On 1/7/2015 6:39 AM, Cecil R Bearden wrote:
>    I am down to the Belarus 822 for my utility tractor.  It refused
> to start without pulling  3 times last week
>
> I need to feed some hay again this morning and the wind chill is below
> zero, so I guess will see if that problem is solved.  Next chore is to
> replace the trackhoe bucket hose that is 9 ft in the air...  With this
> wind, that is going to be a really cold job...  I know it is not as cold
> as Ralph has to endure, but for OKla, this is cold.  they are closing
> some schools because of the wind chill..........
>
> Cecil in OKla
Hi Cecil
Just be thankful you don't have the -30 wind chills we have here this
week. Have to say I am a little surprised
your Belarus won't start. My old Massey never fails to fire up on a
couple of turns of the starter every morning.
Even the single 12 volt battery is enough providing I've had it plugged
in for at least an hour. The oil was a little stiff
and the hydraulics slow but it gets the job done so far.
But then I have never heard anything good about the 24 volt starting
systems either. Seems to me most of the
John Deeres that came with that system were converted to 12 as an
improvement.
This Massey was originally 2 six volt batteries in series but I have
never used anything other than a single twelve volt.

Ralph in Sask.