[AT] Out with the new, in with the old

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Fri Jan 16 15:53:53 PST 2015

Last night I took my brother to the local IH dealer to pick up his
tractor; they parked it outside so we could get it after hours ( also we
are only 3 miles away). It is one of those more or less compact tractors
of just over 60 hp. It has front wheel assist, a loader, and a cab. He
bought it new and it has about 600 hours on it; 36,000 miles on a car.
He always said because he bought it new he was going to keep it up in
good condition. It had several problems, none that seemed serious; the
front wheel assist light stayed on whether it was in 4 wheel drive or
not, the brake light flickered all the time, the water temperature
didn't register, and the ground speed gauge didn't work. Well, after
having it for 2 weeks it still isn't all fixed. First off, because of
their high shop rates ($77 per hour) they don't check parts, just
replace them. For the 4 wheel light, they first replaced the switch,
when that didn't work they replaced the solenoid which solved the
problem. The brake light they claim was low fluid; my brother said when
he checked it was within one quarter inch so we'll see. They replaced
the water temp. sensor so time will tell. The ground speed they claim
they don't have a clue; they replaced the sensor but that didn't help.
They think it could be in the wiring harness but don't know. They said
they have 12 volts at the sensor and only 1.3 volts at the other end,
but don't know what the end voltage should be. They said there are 15
different connections between the sensor and the gauge, some having as
many as 12 pins at each connection. Also they said if were a warranty
job they would probably change the wiring harness; however, the harness
is $2000 and $1000 to put it in, so they sent it home saying just how
much money do you want to throw at it.
Now to the old; my newest tractor is 24 years old, the other 3 are
upwards of 40 years old. All have the original speed meters and all
work, also all my tractors have over 6000 hours on them, however they
never heard of a computer. How many of these new tractors will still be
working in 45 years? Some will argue that isn't the point, you put a lot
of hours on in a few years and junk them. I just wasn't raised that way,
but was taught to take care of equipment and have it last. When I was a
kid, we had a 4 bar hay rake (the kind where the basket went back at a
45 degree angle) and the rule was in a 20 acre field you greased the
bars every 4 rounds and the complete rake every 12 rounds. Seems a
little craze, but it outlasted 3 rakes that my uncle had. I do believe,
and some others agree with me, that those who are 50 and up will be the
last group of small farmers. It is getting very hard to find smaller
equipment that is in good enough shape to use
  at a price you can afford. Also, at the high price of parts it is hard
to get a worn out piece and rebuild it. When I go to the field, having
old equipment doesn't bother me as long as works without too many
breakdowns (more on that to come in the future). So, as nice as some of
these new tractors are, I think I will keep my old ones that by and
large I can fix by myself, and not have a dealer try and fix them by
just putting in new parts until it works.
         Greg Hass