[AT] Cold weather starting

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Thu Jan 8 17:11:56 PST 2015

Wow, that's some serious climbing in that video, Mike.   No small task just
to make that free climb straight up, let alone being way the heck up above
the ground, exposed to the wind, hauling your tools, etc.

36, maybe 37 years ago, I worked for a dairy farmer and one summer in
addition to the normal farm chores I painted all of his barns, just me and a
big extension ladder and a paint brush.   Had a great time and learned a lot
of still-useful techniques for painting and was very comfortable doing the
high work.   No more, though--I'll still use a ladder occasionally but I
wouldn't go up as high as I'd done back then.  Just doesn't seem worth it
anymore.

A few months back, I climbed to the top of my 50' concrete silo to get a
look around from up there.  Nice early sunny morning so I figured the light
and views would be great and I'd get some good pictures of the place.   The
original ladder is still there but I decided to climb up the big rungs
inside the silage chute on the side instead.   I got to the top and looked
around and it was indeed a pretty nice view, but I thought "You know, I just
don't need any photographs badly enough to let go of this rung, even with
one hand," so I went right back down.  Don't plan to make any more trips to
the top.  (Unless I get inspired to build a lighthouse or something up
there, thanks to ideas from Chuck Bealke and Greg Hass... :)

Dean Vinson
Saint Paris, OH