[AT] repairing radiators

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Jan 7 16:30:15 PST 2015

Glad you found an honest shop John.
Good deal!

Charlie

-----Original Message-----
From: jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2015 6:33 PM
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
Subject: Re: [AT] repairing radiators

Update on my radiator repair issues.

The greasy fingernail network finally came through with a local fellow that
could properly repair the radiator. He's been at it over 50 years. Runs a 1
man shop and has all the business he wants. I decided this was not the
radiator to learn how to "repair" since this is the single most important
tractor we have and some of the things I do with it I don't have a backup
tractor for.

He fixed the old repair by soldering a piece of brass over the split, like
you guys suggested. When I pulled the radiator it turns out one of the side
rails was broke loose. He looked at it and said the other one was almost
loose as well. He found a couple other leaks  where the top tank meets the
core and reinforced the neck. He pulled the top off so he could rod out the
core. With all this repair work, flushing, pressure testing, and painting,
he only charged $75, quite a bargain.

By the way, the shop that charged me $90 to resolder  the fitting the temp.
sending unit screws into on my combine radiator charged another fellow $140
to repair a radiator that still leaked--he was fixing that one as well.

John Hall