[AT] just a rant

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 19 03:20:17 PST 2015

Only a pure fool would think his "brand" is superior across the board. My
dad spent 20 some years working for an IH dealer. Sold a gazillion Cub
Cadets. Any day of the week I'll mow a prettier lawn with and old Deere than
an old Cadet. When you do as most of the list members do (repairing and
restoring old iron) it should become real evident what was or wasn't a great
design. If you can't see that, you probably don't need to be turning
wrenches in the first place.

For whatever reason we switched to Deere in the 60's for big HP. After
growing up on a pair of 4020's and a 4430, I knew what to expect from them.
Dad had a 706 or 806 at the shop working on it one day. I climbed up on it
and realized it was the most ridiculous laid out tractor concerning the
controls I had ever seen. Nothing was as convenient as a 4020. The flip side
of that is Deeres famous 2 cylinders--- loud, obnoxious, jerky, and not laid
out very well as opposed to IH tractors of the time. Both paint colors had
their faults, but they also managed to put in many years in the field which
to me says they are well built. We didn't have many other color tractors in
the area due to dealer support, so I can't speak regarding those.

For the record, we collect primarily IH. We use IH and Deere.

John Hall