[AT] Oil dry / Rural King / And even more O.T. stuff

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Feb 28 04:02:30 PST 2015

I also observed many folks had a much more keen interest in watching saws
run compared to other equipment we were demonstrating.  Some because they
were just so darn loud, but most because sawing wood was something they
could relate to. About even in interest was running a stationary baler,
there's tons of non-farm guys that helped load hay at some point in time and
can therefore relate.
Threshers, silage cutters, grist mills, corn shredders---the pool of
interested folks grows much smaller. Partly because they have NO idea what
they are looking at and still don't even when you try to explain it. The
other reason, there just aren't many folks alive that ever saw this stuff
used when it was new. At 84 years old, my dad never helped run a thresher
until he was about 65. He saw a few folks do it when he was young. His dad
replaced a wooden hand fed Geiser thresherwith a Massey pull type combine
right around the start of WWII.

I will say it is easy to spot a good Southern cook, she's the lady who
inspects the final product coming out of a grist mill and gives you her $.02
as to the quality of the grits or corn meal you are grinding.

John