[AT] ford corn planters

toma at risingnet.net toma at risingnet.net
Wed Feb 18 17:15:04 PST 2015

Back about 1970 I became interested in planting peas, later we called them
English Peas. Anyway peas picked green in the pod to be shelled. I bought
a IHC four row panter at an auctin for $15. It was one of the newer pieces
of equipment I ever had, it had rubber tires. They were 6.00x16 tractor
tread impement tires. It used Plates. There was still an IHC dealer here
and they got me the right plates for peas. It would plant peas about 2.25"
apart. It was a runner type planter but it would plant a uniform depth.
Years later I learned the runners were well worn out but it worked fine
for me. I always had the ground worked up deep and fluffy with lots of
moisture. I would sink the seed 3 or 4" deep. It as not been used for
years and the tires are shot but I bet it would still work. I later years
I picked up 2 more planters, one had near neww runners and the other had
double disk openers. Those got scrapped during the scrapping era. I am
still kind of sick about that.