[AT] ford corn planters

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Wed Feb 18 19:36:34 PST 2015

The 900 series I have been using was certainly a Cadillac of a machine, even
has Yetter row cleaners. The corn is for grain crop so yeah, it needs to be
done right. There must be a million 309 Ford planters on Craigslist, I'm
sure they are fine for gardening and sweet corn patches. Our land will not
compete with midwest yields, lot of guys pulling back on corn acres this
year with the low prices. 2 years ago record average yields around here were
around 160 bushels. Some folks hit over 200 in places, I had one field go
180. The reality is average good yields here are 110-130 bushels, you can't
buy much of a planter on those profit margins. I may can hire someone to
plant mine for me this year. We just started planting corn again 2 years
ago, like most folks around here we quit because there was no money in it.
When the price shot up coupled with better hybrids, folks went back to
growing it.

I do have a lead on a Ford with disc openers at a fair price. I'll have to
see what kind of shape it is in. I may could get a year or two out of it
before upgrading to a 4 row. I've seen a couple AC planters for sale. Hoping
more come available as spring draws near.

We had a 1240 Deere dad sold a few years back. It was so worn out it was
pitiful. I looked at a IH 56 (I think) that needed rebuilding. Couldn't find
any aftermarket parts and IH wanted $90 for one row opener--The machine
needed all 8--I left it for a scrap dealer.

Ideally I want a no-till machine, but would settle for a very late model 4
row or a 2 row in mint condition. If I'm honest with myself I should wait
till a modern no-till comes along at the right price.

John