[AT] Welding Advice

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Mon Feb 9 12:02:19 PST 2015

Mike wrote:
> I hope some of our folks with experience jump in on this, I too am
> learning to weld. I have an old AC tombstone welder, and a newer 110v
> Hobart MIG welder my wife got me for Christmas for lighter duty welding.
> All I can say is what I do is not called welding, sometimes I can make
> two pieces of metal stick together, sometimes they stay stuck other
> times not.
>
> Mike M

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ and his videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks

Jody knows his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChuckE2009
He has some good demos as well.

As for what to learn, They all have pros/cons for the occasional weldor.
For farm work without a lot of outlay the stick will deal with
rusty/thicker steel better than the 110 MIG. The MIG will handle 1/8"
and under much easier than the stick. If it's breezy and you're welding
thinner steel the MIG will probably lose it's shielding gas, that is
when you want to switch it over to flux core. Then it becomes a self
feeding "stick" welder for thinner metal.

TIG is a great process, it welds just about any metal without a fuss. It
is actually not hard to learn.

What it comes down to is what will you be welding?

IF you want to update I would suggest the Hobart Stickmate, It is AC/DC
and can have a TIG torch added to it.

--
Steve W.