[AT] off topic, Internet takeover by govt ?

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Thu Feb 5 06:07:46 PST 2015

charlie hill wrote:
> Same code is set on my 06 GMC Ralph.   GM has revised that
> part several times and to my knowledge they can't or won't make
> a part that fixes the problem.  It's nothing but a solenoid that opens
> and closes on start up and shut down so the computer can
> sample the EGR system.  Every design they come up with fails and
> I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for a part that won't work.  It's
> an emissions control part.  It looks like they'd be forced to fix it for
> free.  I gave up on fixing it several years ago and a friend told me how
> to legally circumvent the emissions test procedure in NC.
>
> If they have fixed the problem I'd love to know about it because I get tired
> of watching that check engine light burn.  It must be LED or it would have
> burned out by now.  I check the codes on the computer every now and then
> to make sure nothing else is wrong.
>
> Charlie

Yep the vent solenoid.
Let's put a part that carries oily vapor under the vehicle, out in the
open and usually stuck in a spot where dust flies around. Then for good
measure make it a critical test item for the EVAP system.

Thing normally sets open so air can vent the tank, it only closes for
the EVAP test. Because of this they rust and stick, and the test fails.
CEL comes on.

There is a way to fix it so it works and doesn't screw up. Replace the
factory valve with a better valve. I've used a couple of different
valves.
http://www.electricsolenoidvalves.com/1-2-12v-dc-electric-plastic-solenoid-valve-normally-open/
one like this works well. You connect it in place of the original, then
modify the filter from the oem so it attaches to the inlet side. You
need to look at how the valve you use works, you want to operate the
valve opposite the way it would normally be operated. That is because
you are blocking a vacuum and if you connect the valve wrong the vacuum
could hold the valve closed.

--
Steve W.