[AT] A favorite tractor attachment

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:32:31 PST 2015

I forgot to mention one of the main things I want to make for the lift
forks. I want to make a small dump bed for it that will pivot from the back
two holes in the forks and latch at the front. My golf cart has a small
dump bed on it and it is super handy.
I painted it green for a few very good reasons. One was that I had some
green paint handy.
:-)
Another was that much of it was already JD green so when it got scratched
up it would still be all one color.
And of course it is after all almost all John Deere... I intended to get
some JD decals for it but... Maybe someday I'll remember it.
The big welds were 3 pass welds. I initially welded them two passes using a
high penetration 1/8" rod at a pretty high amperage. I don't remember how
high it was but the rod was running bright red all of the way back through
the electrode holder. I had no fear of burning through it. The third pass
was with some specialty rod I bought at a yard sale that was made for
Westinghouse to use to weld big huge transformers. I believe it was made by
Eutectic (sp?). I always suspected that it might have been "lunch-box"
rod... It was 1/4" rod or heavier.  I used it a 225 amps which was the max
for my farm store Lincoln welder.
Anybody can weld clean really heavy stuff. It's thin rusty stuff that tends
to give me fits.
Back around 1952 (I was about 10) before the farm store days my father used
to sell Lincoln welders and I think there was one other brand. He taught a
yearly adult basic arc welding class for Lincoln for a couple of years.
Later when I was a senior in high school he and I worked together to teach
adult classes in basic welding (both arc and torch) at night for the local
high school in the ag dept. I also worked with the metal shop teacher
teaching machine shop basics in the adult education program. The metal shop
teacher was a little weak on welding so I also taught several senior class
metal shop students to weld in class.
I really loved working with the adult education programs, those guys were
there to learn. The high school students, not so much.
:-)

--

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"