[AT] Merry Christmas

rlgoss at twc.com rlgoss at twc.com
Sat Dec 26 12:28:36 PST 2015

You will find that construction all over Europe.  Most of the time, the half-timbered construction in Central Europe has wattle and daub to fill the spaces between beams. One of the things that has progressed in the last couple hundred years is the method of applying the daub. Modern stucco is more common (cement-based) but it does deteriorate and needs to be restored. One summer when we were visiting our son in Poland, I watched as a crew of workmen restored the stucco on a multi-story building.  They were rapelling down the exterior armed with a bucket of mortar and a hand-cranked "mud slinger" that looked for all the world like a hand-held fertizer spreader.  With a single trip down the outside of the building, each could restore a swath around 10 feet wide.  They had an assistant who kept them supplied with additional mortar that they lugged up with a rope attached to their work belt.

Larry