[AT] Glow plugs

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Dec 20 21:30:19 PST 2015

Ralph:
Where we parked that tractor, we would have had to have a 300 ft
extension cord to run a block heater.  We had to keep the tractor at a
neighbor's place as we did not live on our farm.  We farmed on weekends
and had a house trailer on our place.  The trailer and the garage
building on the site were burglarized several times.
We later had 2 Massey 85's one on propane and one one diesel.  We had
the heads welded on both.  The diesel was the old Continental low
compression diesel.   It had to be pulled to start if it was below 50
deg.  The batteries just could not heat the glow plug and crank fast
enough to start.  We even had the pump rebuilt.
I believe I have a super 90 here that we had to replace a cracked block
on 20 years ago.  We sent the injection pump to a vo-tech instructor to
rebuild, and he took 2 years to get it repaired while we switched the
sleeves pistons crank, etc.  We plugged the bottom of the sleeve and
filled the cylinder with liquid propane and when the sleeve shrunk, we
puled it out with a sleeve puller.   Got all 4 sleeves out and into the
new block without damage.  By the time we got it mounted on the tractor,
the engine would not turn over fast enough to fire off.  It could not be
pulled due to the multi power.  It is still sitting behind the barn with
a flat on the rear.  When we got the engine mounted back on the tractor,
the rear tire went flat the next morning.   It has been sitting so long,
covered up, that I am afraid it is not worth trying to get running.
I have 20 acres of projects around here like that.   We tried to save a
few bucks and ended up with a pile of junk due to waiting on cheaper
parts or service.   I need to just bite the bullet and call a tractor
salvage, but those guys give junk price and steel is down to $80 a ton...

Cecil in OKla