[AT] Glow plugs

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Dec 20 16:37:30 PST 2015

On 12/20/2015 5:55 PM, Cecil R Bearden wrote:
> My 7030 Allis had that ether can, but the plastic line to the air intake
> had broken and I plugged it to prevent dust in the intake.  I have found
> that those 70's tractors and trucks will start just fine in the winter
> with 2008 and later batteries.   Batteries are so much better in
> cranking amps that I only have to use ether on my old 944 CAT loader or
> when the batteries are not cranking as fast as they should.    My
> Belarus tractors have never failed to start if I use 5W-30 oil in the
> winter.  My TS110 New Holland has 15W-40 oil and it never refuses to s
> tart in the winter without ether and I always forget to use the glow plugs.
> I remember our old Massey 50 Diesel and the 65 Diesel, in the winter you
> would run the battery down the glow plug before it would start.  You
> also did not ether a Perkins of that vintage. Sooner or later you would
> need a head welded.  We parked them in an old cow barn that was built on
> a slant.  In the winter we backed them in so they could be pulled out
> and started.  We could start the 50 by pulling it with the pickup if we
> had about 300 lbs of cattle cub es in the back..  I had an old WD allis
> that would start when nothing else would.  When we had snow I would
> start the WD and pull the diesel to start it.....
>
> Cecil in OKla
Cecil, you just needed a bigger block heater on those Perkins diesels. I
run my Super 90 with the 270 Perkins diesel
all through our Sask. winters without a problem and it has never seen
ether since I've owned it. An hour or so
with that 1500 watt circulating heater has the engine warm as summer. A
turn or two of the starter (on a single
battery) and its running smooth as summer. 10w-30 oil too. No glow plugs
on this diesel either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQY8GQd8p0U&feature=youtu.be

Ralph in Sask.