[AT] Winter Tractors - Edited

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Dec 14 18:17:16 PST 2015

Herb,

That model JD is a Model D which first came out in 1923 and remained in production for over 30 years.
March 1, 1923 and remained in production  until July 3, 1953. With a lot of changes of course. Longest
running JD Tractor Model in the company's history. The Model D was JD's first tractor that  they
developed in house after the Waterloo Boy had had been acquired. It was a very successful tractor and
very popular in Wheat Country or wherever there were large farms. It never was configured for Row Crop
farming.  We have serial number 0004 out here in WA.

In about 1928 JD introduced the Model C which later became the Model GP which was JD's first attempt
at a
Row Crop tractor which was not successful at all. Then in 1934 JD introduced a real Row crop tractor,
the model A followed by the Model B.  which each had sales of over 300,000 units. The A & B were very
successful along with the D  which fully established JD in the tractor business.

 JD also came out with Lights and Starting and styled their tractors in the 1939 models. Actually
Electric starting and Lighting  didn't really start
until the 1940 model year and then JD sold kits to retrofit earlier models in the field. There wasn't
much performance difference between the styled 1939 models and the unstyled 1938 models.  Many called
the 1939 models 1938 models with tin. After the cosmetic change in 1939 JD started making engine and
mechanical changes incrementally. 1941 being when they went to a 6 speed transmission and more HP

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

If we can employ guards with guns to protect money, we can and should employ guards with guns to
protect people. Bernard Goldberg.