[AT] Test

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Dec 6 12:53:26 PST 2015

You're not as flat as I thought but it's hard to tell because
you lens is foreshortening the distance and amplifying the
hills and valleys.  Anyway, you can stand on the beach here
or I suppose anywhere where you can't see land in the
horizon and see that the horizon line is slightly bowed high
in the center.  That is the curvature of the earth.  It's easier
to see if you are elevated as in being on a 3rd story balcony
of a beach house, etc.  It's easier to see on water because
you can be relatively certain (notwithstanding what some folks
say about rising sea levels) that the water in the ocean lays
flat (except for the waves).   My comment about the rising sea
levels is not intended to be political.  It's just something that
came to mind.  I was talking to a guy who considers himself to
be very smart and accomplished.  He told me the ocean level had
risen something like 1.7 feet or something in the last 25 years.
(those are made up numbers.  I don't remember exactly but that's in the ball
park)
I told him that I've lived here for 65 years and I know where the water
level was
on fixed objects then and now and that if there is any change at all it's
only a very
few inches.  He said, OH, it up north that I'm talking about.... up in the
North Atlantic.
I burst out laughing and my other friend sitting at the same table picked up
his drink
cup and tilted it from side to side looking at the level in the cup and
laughing.
So what I was doing was making a comment about folks that don't understand
what they
think they know and I'm sure that applies to me at times.

Charlie