[AT] OFF Topic: 4 month Verizon WAR

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Aug 31 10:08:14 PDT 2015

Spencer,  I have to reply to that with my own cable access story.
Where I live used to be at the end of a half mile long private dirt road
and was that way when I moved here.  A few years later the owner
of the woods and the road turned it all into a subdivision with the state
maintenance ending about 30 feet or so from my driveway.  Jump forward
a few years, the road had been paved to the end of the state maintenance
and a few houses had been built along the road and the guy who managed
our cable company bought one of them.  He immediately ran the cable
to the first vacant lot past his house and stopped it.  He refused to run it
to the end of the road leaving half a dozen houses on the road with no
access
and about a dozen of us on another private dirt lane that crossed the end of
the
road with no access.

No one could get him to run it any further.  One of my neighbors is a
contractor
and offered to run the cable himself and pay for it.  In fact he had offered
to do that
before the cable guy moved to the road.  He would have run it all the way
from the
highway before the road was paved and made public but the cable company
wouldn't allow
it even though it would have cost them nothing.  The guy was just a jerk.

Well jump forward another couple of years.  The guy at the very end of the
road
and just across from our place is an architect.  He was at a Christmas party
and
the cable guy was there.  The cable guy had a few drinks and was hitting on
my
architect neighbor to do some FREE design work for an addition to his house.
My neighbor has a pretty quick mind and said, OK, I'll do it if you run
cable to my house.
They struck a deal but the guy refused to go any further and even instructed
the
cable contractor to stop the cable before the end of the state maintenance
and run the cable
under the road to my neighbors house so he wouldn't have to provide service
to any of the rest
of us.   A few months past and they got around to plowing the cable to hook
my neighbor
up. I went home one day at lunch and there in the corner of my yard, on the
property line
with another neighbor was a cable TV box.   It seems the contractor used
some common
sense and plowed the cable along the right of way, across the private lane
and to a property
corner where there was a power pole even though the cable man didn't want it
done that
way.

As soon as I saw the cable pedestal on my lot line I called the cable
company.  They were
so nice and more than willing to hook me up until I told them my address.
The tone changed
and the lady said "sir we don't have service at that location".  I said,
"oh, ok well let me ask you
a question"  "what is a thing that sticks up out of the ground, is painted
light green and has
CTV stamped into the housing?"   She said, that's a cable TV pedestal.  Then
I said well
there is one in the corner of my yard and if you don't have service at my
house then I guess
you won't mind if I take my tractor and pull it up and I hung up the phone.

Guess who had cable TV the next day?  Then since my address was on the
private dirt lane
they were forced to run cable 1/4 mile in one direction and 3/4 mile in the
other direction
along that private dirt lane because everyone else started raising H$%% with
them.

Charlie