[AT] HELP I'm stumped. truck problems, overheating

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Aug 29 13:35:21 PDT 2015

Thanks Mike,

I agree but this engine has 250,000 on it so before
I tear into it I'll waste a few bucks on block sealant to make sure.
I sure hope it's not an engine issue because this engine runs perfectly,
uses no oil and the same oil pressure it had when new.

There are some new innovations in those products and apparently
they work well now days if you follow the instructions.   I think I
have the problem solved at least for now but I'd like to hear comments
from folks familiar with the new block sealant products.  I've been looking
at that stuff anyway for our 97 Buick that is going to be replaced soon
with something new but it appears to have coughed up a head gasket and
I want to get it running so I can at least drive it to the junk yard.

K&N makes two products that are some sort of epoxy and one of them has
"space age fibers"
in it.  I'm not inclined toward fibers of any sort, space age or not.
I know a lot of folks that are in the auto business from used car dealers to
mechanics to folks that work in parts houses and everyone is telling me to
use "Blue Devil".   If I find something that works on the Buick
I'll run a bottle of it through the truck too just for insurance.
Apparently most
of these new products require you to drain and flush the system, fill with
water
and the stuff, run the engine idle for a while, cut it of and let it sit for
24 hours.
Then drain and refill.  That might be drain and let it sit for 24 hours.
I'm not sure.
I’m not real sure about the "blue devil" product because it's a clear liquid
and I wonder
if it's not just "water glass" (sodium silicate?).

Charlie