[AT] HELP I'm stumped. truck problems, overheating

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sat Aug 29 13:04:58 PDT 2015

Darrell,  the fan is electric and it's running fine but thanks.

Bo,  I think I found the problem or at least part of it.  I think I did
have an airlock.  I filled the reservoir twice with a gallon of antifreeze
and then close to a gallon of filtered water.  I thought it was full
but when I went back out after writing I found it low.  I had filtered
the coolant I drained out (or all I caught of it) and let it settle so
I put some of that back in to make up the difference.  It APPEARS
to be running right now.  However,  I see some water in the tail pipe
but it is clear and odorless so I figure it's just condensate from heating
up a cold engine and exhaust.  You know how humid it is on the coast.
I'll run it down the road and dry it out and see what happens.  However that
still doesn't explain why the old thermostat is working fine in a pan or
water.

I think if it was a cracked head it would overheat all the time or show some
other
signs.  I guess I'll find out soon enough.  Unfortunately I'm going to have
to pull
it apart again because I must have not gotten the housing flange clean and I
have
a real slow leak or seep.  It's no big deal at all.  I just hate to loose
that 15 bucks
worth of antifreeze I just put in it and the way the truck is made there is
very little
way to catch it for reuse.  I'm going to try.