[AT] Interesting AC-B

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 16:43:46 PDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 5:45 PM, <jtchall at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> I don't think I've ever ran across a G in the wild either. Several B's, a C
> or 2 and a few of the W series---and AC tractors here are a slightly more
> common than hens teeth in these parts. It used to be easier to find a AC
> pull type combine.
>
> John

There used to be several G's around here. There was and still are a lot of
truck patch farmers kind of in a circle around Indy and many of them used
AC G's, B's and C's along with Farmall Cubs, B's and some Massey Harris or
Ferguson Pony's etc. Deere L's and LA's were sort of common and some used
JD H's and M / 40's etc. Lots of Ford N's and Ferguson's. I guess almost
every brand had a tractor aimed at the vegetable producers. A lot depended
on how many acres they were trying to raise. Right here about 25 miles
south east of Indy there was very little tobacco grown but quite a bit was
grown about 40 miles east or south of me. Most of those producers used
pretty small tractors.
I never owned or even drove an Allis B but I do have an Allis C that I have
had for many many years. It's a little inconvenient to mount / dismount but
once in the seat it is quite comfortable to drive. It has a piston and
sleeve set in it that was supposed to bring it up to almost 30 HP. I helped
the on/off thing a lot with a custom step. Most of the AC B's I see now
have Woods mowers under them.

--

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"