[AT] new twist on old idea

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 16 14:56:20 PDT 2015

Working on my corn planter and needed to replace some bearings. No way were they moving on the shaft while in the machine so I cut the shaft in half.  Although I was replacing the bearings and shaft (obviously) I still needed to remove some sprockets. Heated things up with the torch to try to break the rust bond. Tried a couple licks with a hammer, no luck. On to the press, got one sprocket off with a little effort. On to another one—more pressure with the press than I was comfortable with—didn’t want to wind up buying any more parts. So I chucked the shaft in the lathe and drilled it out leaving only a 1/32 wall thickness. Pressed out real easy after that. I’ve drilled out bolts and cut manifold pipes into before and then took a punch and caved them in  so they could be picked out. This was the first time I ever drilled a shaft out of a hub---then again I don’t recall cutting the shaft in half to get it out of the machine either!  I put the assembly back in the press and dropped a short piece of bar stock in the hole—minimal effort to get it out. Just thought I’d pass this along.

John Hall