[AT] Tire slipping on rim

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Apr 2 08:18:08 PDT 2015

On 4/2/2015 8:51 AM, rlgoss at twc.com wrote:
> I have heard of people having this problem recently. They seemed to think it was caused by lubricants that were used when mounting the tire.  It may be time to use an old technique -- glycerin.  In the late 40's I was helping my father (watching, really) as he installed new shock absorbers on our post WWII Studebaker.  He swabbed the rubber with glycerin before assembly.  I asked shy he did that, and he said, "Glycerin will act as a lubricant while I put it together,  and then it bonds the rubber to the metal when it dries."  I was a kid, so what did I know?  I passed it off as one of those "don't bother me" kind of answers, but glycerin DOES do some miraculous things.  Years later when I took training as a piano tuner and repair technician, I found that glycerin is what is used to bond steel tuning pins to the maple pin rail on old worn-out pianos.  I kept a squeeze bottle of 50/50 alcohol and glycerin in my tool box all the time for emergency repairs on pin blocks.
>

> Larry
I wasted a lot of time and energy and damaged a few rims and tires
struggling to install them dry before I got a clue how to do it right.
Tire lube made a world of difference. The rim slip stuff you buy is
great but a mix of dishwashing soap and water works well too. In fact I
even tried anti freeze which worked just as well.
On my Honda trike the recommended tire pressure is down around 3 pounds
so they don't run tubes. Someone told me it was because
the tire could slip on the rim at such low pressure and damage the stem.
The two rear tires are now approaching 30 years old and still
hold air although a bit bald. Tubeless works well on it but of course it
does not pull loads like a tractor either.

Ralph in Sask.